Friday, February 4, 2011

Family Time

I just spent over an hour on the phone with my mom. I had not talked to her in a few weeks, and it isn't like her not to call me at least once a week. So, I was beginning to get worried about her, and gave her a call.

It was good to hear her voice, I didn't realize how much I had missed her chatter. Seems she is doing fine, and doing some more work on her place. She and her dog, Winston, are doing good. Fairing the Georgia cold as well as any Floridian could.

Winston ~ Keeping Mom Safe from all
I miss being close to my mom, when we could visit each other whenever we wanted. I miss knowing she is within a few miles of me. Even though I moved to Tennessee several years ago, I still miss her unexpected visits to check on me and the kids. I miss the family gatherings, and the family fusses.

She has her friends, and is building a new life for herself. But so often, I wish she would have chosen to come here and be closer to me. I worry about her. Not in the present day sense, but in the future. I know she is healthy and able to take care of herself now. I want her closer to me, so I can care for her as she cared for me. Supporting her, loving her, enjoying her company, and learning from her.

I do have to wonder how she is going to operate her computer. My son, who is now 29, has been with her since he was a baby. And my parents had bought him a computer, which he grew up using, and even did some web design work, and gaming programming.

He has recently moved back to Florida, leaving my mom on her own with the computer. Sure, she used them at work, and actually got really good with the programs they had to use there. But, at home, for personal use, she is almost completely lost.

So, while talking to her on the phone tonight, we set up a Yahoo! email account for her. The first contact she added was me, since I was talking to her. And she started reading all my blog posts, tweets, and FB comments.

OHOH,, what have a I done? I told her now she keep up with me, and find out what I'm really up to. Of course, I didn't stop there! I just HAD to show her how we can chat live, with Yahoo Chat Web Version.
My next step, is to get her to Skype, so we can use video, and when her new great-grandson here, she will be able to meet him and get to know him.

Not sure how long this learning curve is going to last, so I hope she is a quick learner, and can adapt quickly. I wonder if Yahoo does video, then I would not have to teach her a whole new IM program!

I LOVE YOU MOM!


No comments: